Friday, August 7, 2009

A PLETHORA OF IDEAS

Took my hubby to the airport yesterday, so he could fly to Chicago for "Man's Weekend". I wish I could be a mouse in his pocket, cause I just know there are some great stories developing while these four guys are together. This is an annual event between four guys who grew up together. They are celebrating their 11th year...MWIX as their illustrious "leader" likes to refer to it.

While I was driving away from the airport I was "waxing nostalgic" back to a time...eons ago...when I was in my 20's and living in Pittsburgh, PA. A very good friend and I used to spend lazy days sitting in the local airport just sipping Cokes and watching the people coming and going. The airport was a plethora (that's right I used the word "plethora"...pat on back) of story ideas. We enjoyed making up story lines for people as we relaxed and observed them.

I miss those "hanging out at the airport" days. These days you can't get past security and if you were seen hanging around the ticket area all the time you'd probably be arrested, subjected to a thorough "pat down" and possibly even a cavity search. (and I ain't talking teeth here) However, may I suggest the...bus station? Grab your mace and your stun gun, cause for some reason cities seem to love building bus stations in the worst sections of town, but if you are a writer looking for "fodder" (that's right I used the word "fodder"...another pat on back) then by all means head to the bus station. If you're looking for ideas in a less dangerous area (wimp) then visit your local park or museum. Any place where hundreds of people gather each day is sure to spark a creative musing or two and who knows...maybe one of those "musings" will become a best seller.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a kid my family would park along the street in Coney Island Brooklyn and "people watch". There was quite a menagerie of characters. It was fun. I miss those days. It was when my Mom was still alive. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atlantic City during my childhood was the place I loved to go and hangout and people watch. I especially loved watching couples together. It made me always wonder what type of man I would end up with and I would daydream for hours about my future husband.

    ReplyDelete