Thursday, August 6, 2009

LOGISTICS

The brain is an amazing piece of human body equipment. Just think about it. Your brain is basically responsible for every little freakin' thing you do. If it works right...then you have no problems. If though, you have the kind of brain I seemed to have been blessed (using term lightly) with, then your thoughts and memory are somewhat scattered. I love the fact that I can now blame my "dispersed brain disease" on aging. I'm not sure how I used to explain it to myself and others before I reached the age of 40...because I can't remember...duh.

But I "disperse". I actually wanted to talk about Logistics. I woke up yesterday morning with this word running through my head, but to be honest I have no idea how it got there or even what the word meant exactly. I thought I knew the meaning, but when I looked it up, this is what I found...Logistics: "the planning, implementation and coordination of details. Why had the "definition God" seen fit to drop this little word nugget into my brain at 6a.m. yesterday? Because I needed to study the "logistics" of my manuscript. Especially the "coordination of details" bit.

So once again I started reading through my manuscript and guess what? I had some real logistical problems! One of the major ones that I found was the cities the characters were living in. I had two of them living in the same town...why wouldn't they have visited each other? I had one of my characters with baby blues in one chapter and several chapters later...she had flashing green eyes and she hadn't even started wearing colored contacts.

Moral of this little rant...check the "logistics" in your manuscript before sending it out. I'm not saying an agent or publisher wouldn't still have thought my book worthy of printing, but as a debut author I think it's important for me to keep my "diverse brain disease" to myself and at least appear competent.

No comments:

Post a Comment