Saturday, April 10, 2010

DETERMINATION

Will Shakespeare wrote a very short play entitled "Comedy of Errors" and I had a front row seat in my own production of this tale last night. I simply wanted to go celebrate the birthday of a friend. Sounds simple enough doesn't it? All I had to do was get in my car, drive to Wake Forest and let the partying begin.

Fate stepped in though and decided she'd have good laugh at my expense. I was running late and had just gotten on 540 when I noticed my gas tank was on "MT". I didn't want to push my luck so I got off at the next exit and pulled into the closest gas station. As I was standing there, with a smile on my face, pumping gas...I heard the lock in my car engage. WTH? Smile erased, I frantically tugged on the driver's door. I was locked out! My car betrayed me and locked me out. I could see the keys in the ignition, my purse sitting on the passenger seat (with my cell phone it) and my reflection in the window looking baffled and incredulous.

I headed into the convenience store and asked the clerk if I could borrow his phone. He was nice enough to hand it to me and I began the long frustrating task of trying to reach my husband to bring me his spare key. After several tries I finally reached him and he hurried to my location to let me in. WHEW...let the evening begin.

"Oh no you don't," said Mistress Fate as she laughed at me. I thought I knew exactly where we were meeting. Although I'd never been to the place before I had driven by it numerous times. However, I didn't know that they had recently torn the building recently and relocated the restaurant. Arrrggghhhh...GPS was telling me the new destination was 21 miles away, I couldn't reach my friend on her cell, but I was determined I was going to meet up with my friends. Fate be damned! So I started following the GPS directions and called my friend a couple of more times. Third time was the charm...she picked up. I was headed in the wrong direction. Thank God she was able to give me directions to get me to the festivities. They had a glass of wine waiting at the table for me when I arrived. Nothing ever tasted so good! So despite Mistress Fate's best efforts...I had the last laugh and a good time celebrating with my friends.

1 comment:

  1. OMG I can't believe you finally made it. I would have been shaking so badly.

    ReplyDelete