Wednesday, March 31, 2010

HURRY UP

Just when I think my Northern blood has been totally "Southernized"...I run into some sort of snafu. Yesterday I went to the grocery store. I wanted seven simple items. I figured "I'm in, I'm out". Yeah...not in the South.

I got on the line of a talker. Or as we say in New York...a tawker. I'm not talking about the customer. I'm talking about the cashier. She was learning all about why she shouldn't be hiding "real" eggs for her kids to hunt, but should be buying the plastic ones to hide. REALLY...really? You're gonna hold up a line of four people so you can get a salmonella lesson?

When I first moved South of the Mason Dixon line, about twenty years ago, one of the first places I had to visit was a grocery store to stock our new digs. I was so frustrated with how slow the line moved through the check-outs. The cashier was all friendly, with smiles and comments on customer's purchases. COME ON!! I just want the New York...bada bing, bada boom...I'm outta here. Over the years though I've learned to appreciate the slow Southern style a bit more and I thought I was over my hurry, hurry ways.

Not so yesterday. Ms. Talker not only yakked too much, she screwed up the customer's total (and of course the customer was writing a check) and had to have her rewrite check. She offered to give her change for the difference, but the difference was $26.00 and they were only allowed to give out $25 in cash...yada, yada, yada. Suffice it to say...I was ready to scream by the time I finally got my items rung up and out to my car.

I talked to myself all the way home about it. So any of you drivers who might have seen a crazy lady on New Hope Road around 3:00 yesterday talking to herself...YEAH, that was ME and I had issues I need to deal with!

Today I've been singing the song "slow down, you move too fast, you got to make the morning last.........." I'm about to go out to eat. I wonder if my waiter will be a talker? "slow down, you move too fast.....", keep singing Debe, keep singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment