Friday, September 4, 2009

GROWING IDEAS

The "reading" I went to last nite was so wonderful! We have such talent here in the Raleigh area and I enjoyed listening to everyone. I even go up enough nerve to get up and read one of my short pieces. It was nice to hear some fiction pieces, as I was afraid it would be all poetry. Some poetry I enjoy...like the comedic prose of one of the last readers, but for the most part...I just don't really get it. Way too abstract for my tiny brain.

I know most of you must be on Facebook. I was looking through the messages left on FB last nite after coming from the reading and a friend of mine mentioned that she was "vacuuming up tiny brown things from her porch that seemed to have come from her ferns and she wondered if they were spores." Well after being at this gathering with creativity and imagination running rampant...I couldn't help but start to picture those spores sitting in the vacuum bag, growing, mutating and morphing into some kind of weird fern alien being, then suddenly busting out of the vacuum and slithering through the house, choking the inhabitants before moving onto the rest of the neighborhood. Ahhhh the joys of being a writer and having that over active visualization. Hope I didn't scare the bejesus out of her..........hee hee I'll be saving this idea in my little idea file.

1 comment:

  1. Debe,

    The dictionary defines the word "author" as one who creates or invents; one who writes a book, article, or text; and one whose profession is writing.

    I say you qualify in at least two of the three definitions.

    ReplyDelete