Sunday, August 30, 2009

HOME MOVIES

I'm actually blogging on Sunday because yesterday my husband and I were visiting friends, so I didn't get to thrill you with an entry. It's probably good that I couldn't blog yesterday cause I learned a lesson last night that can only be shared today.

Several months ago I was listening to a talk radio show and a therapist was discussing the unreasonable expectations that we set up for ourselves throughout our lifetimes. She talked about how we "make our own home movies" in our heads constantly and then when the actual events have a different ending than those we imagined...we end up feeling sadness, regret and disappointment. As a writer I think I am more guilty of doing this than maybe the average person might be. I write these beautiful, sometimes romantic, definitely exciting scenarios for my life in my head and then when the characters in my real life don't follow the script...I end up frustrated and at times even angry. Logically...this is just plain ole stupid!! No one knows your home movie, except you...so you can't expect people to play their roles if they don't even know their lines. Remember I said "logically"...I am one of the most illogical people in the world.

We had a wonderful time visiting with our neighbors at a house they own at Lake Gaston. They were gracious hosts and this part of my home movie far exceeded all my expectations. It was when we left that my mental video world started to unravel. I forgot to give my hubby his script. Scenes didn't develop, lines weren't spoken, actions weren't realized. This morning I will try to rectify the damage I did last night, in being a poor "director" and try to be more open to "improv"...lights, camera, action.

1 comment:

  1. Years & years ago a therapist reminded me that I have to ask for things I want people to do cause they can't read my mind. For example,I used to get mad at my husband when he didn't empty the dishwasher but if I asked him he wld do it. I was upset that he didnt think to do it w/o me asking. But the world does not operate perfectly like that. I learned to write my own script in a way that changed my expectations....

    ReplyDelete