Tuesday, July 28, 2009

THE DREADED QUERY

The dreaded "query". That's what looms in front of me today. This probably accounts for my total lack of sleep last night, regardless of how many times I bunched my pillow, emitted deep sighs and tried counting my breaths...in, out, in, out. The large lump in the pit of my stomach refuses to go away this morning. I HATE the idea of having to compose a query letter.

I'm a writer. A teller of tall tales. I weave a good read together, but tootin' my own horn has never been one of my strong points.

Problem #1: A query has to be non-fiction. I WRITE fiction. I can't expound upon the truth in my query. It must be factual and honest. This alone is enough to make my insides quiver (and I ain't talkin' with desire!)

Problem #2: I must take my 210 page novel, with all it's intricate details, and somehow...squeeze it's juicy plot down into a description that can hook a prospective agent in one to two short paragraphs.

Problem #3: I am NOT already a published author. In that dreaded paragraph where I have to tell all about myself...I don't have a degree in Journalism or Creative Writing, I haven't won any awards for short story submittals, I haven't had anything officially published yet...but I CAN write DAMN IT! Maybe this is exactly how I will word this paragraph.

Most agents now accept queries by email...along with a synopsis and the first 10 or so pages of your manuscript. That's going to save me a lot of money in postage, cause I intend to query every agent who is even remotely interested in receiving submissions for thriller romances. Let the good times roll...kind of like my stomach.

1 comment:

  1. i read what you have written up and i like it very much! :)

    ReplyDelete