Monday, March 22, 2010

THE LUMP

My husband and I sleep in a queen size bed. Not my choice. I would love to have a King, because I love to be able to ssspppprrreeeaaadddd out when I sleep. We have an older mattress, which I refuse to replace unless I can get a King size. There's a nice indentation on either side of the mattress...where he lies, where I lie...and then a nice little lump in between.

A few months ago, my husband discovered that sleeping on the "lump" made his back feel better. So now he likes to sleep smack dab in the middle of the bed. Which meanS I am relegated to my small indentation area only. No spreading out. Just sleeping in my little space and waking up stiff and sore in the morning.

Before he discovered the "lovely lump" in the middle of our mattress, I used to enjoy throwing one leg over that lump in the middle of the night and gettin' comfy. Now when I feel the urge to cuddle with the lump (the mattress, not my husband), inevitably my husband is already sleeping on it, so I miss my chance.

Why am I even discussing all this? Because my husband is out of town for the week and last night I could have spread out all I wanted and I didn't. I couldn't. It just didn't seem normal with him not there. In fact, I barely slept at all. If I couldn't push him around or grumble about not being able to get comfortable, it just didn't seem like a normal sleeping night. I'm exhausted! The only good thing about not being able to sleep last night was when I talked to my husband this morning and he told me he didn't sleep well either...and he had a KING size bed!! Guess that mattress didn't have a lump in the middle.

Maybe I'll try sleeping on the lump tonight and see how that feels. Of course, if I like it, then we'll be fighting for "lump rights" when he gets back...but I'm staking my claim while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment