Wednesday, March 24, 2010

BACK TO SCHOOL

As some of you know I've been on unemployment for awhile. I received a notice in the mail, about a month ago, from the Employment Security Commission, telling me I could sign up for school if I wanted to. I finally decided today to go check out my options.

Although I have a degree in Communications, it doesn't seem to be helping me much right now and I thought it might be fun to study something else. I went to Wake Tech's North campus to see what courses they had available. I couldn't find the enrollment office, but did find the Continuing Education office. When I went in the girl behind the desk had a big smile on her face.

"How can I help you?" she said.

"I'm interested in finding out what educational programs you have." I said.

"Grab a brochure." she said.

"No, I want the curriculum programs. Where is the enrollment office?" I said.

The smile disappeared. She looked at me with a puzzled expression. "You want the curriculum programs?" she asked.

It was then I had an epiphany. Holy crap, I've gotten old!! When did that happen? I pasted a tense smile on my face and said, "I know I'm old, but I'd like to go back to school and get another degree."

"No, no...you're not old," she said, but her eyes told me I was. "The enrollment office is in the next building."

I scurried off, trying not to notice all the young faces surrounding me in the hallway, and headed into the next building. I found the enrollment desk. There were two twenty-somethings ahead of me and I waited patiently. When they left the girl behind the desk smiled at me and said, "Yes? How can I help you."

"I wondered if you had a brochures of the classes you offer?" I said.

"You mean the Continuing Education classes?" she said.

"No I mean the Curriculum courses. I want to go back to get a degree." I said.

The smile disappeared.

"All the classes are listed on-line. We don't print handbooks anymore." she said.

"Ugh, okay thanks." I mumbled and slinked off realizing I hadn't needed to publicly humiliate myself.

Do I really want to go back to school? I don't know for sure, but I do know I didn't want to feel "old" today and unfortunately I did. How did that 90 year old woman who just graduated college stand it? Maybe I'll give her a call...........

No comments:

Post a Comment