Thursday, August 20, 2009

WALKING AWAY

I'm going to walk away from my "Great American Novel" for a few days. I think I need some distance so I can come back with a fresh mind and a fresh outlook. I am going to work on a short story for a contest I want to enter. My mind is buzzing with ideas, but I've been shoving them out of the nest one at a time to see if they'll fly and so far they've all gone SPLAT.

I'm going to take some quiet time today to just sit and reflect on what I'd like to submit. I don't normally write short stories, unless I am doing a children's book, so this will be a challenge for me. It's good to switch up our writing styles periodically. If you constantly write the same stuff, the same style over and over I think your writing becomes predictable and formulated. I have never been one who was predictable that's for sure! Just ask my husband! So I enjoy dabbling in children's tales, poetry, fiction and even a little (very little) non-fiction at times.

Going to grab my first cup of coffee for the day, sit on my back porch and let my mind wander. Hopefully in it's meanderings I will come up with a wonderful story idea and by this afternoon I'll be pounding away on my laptop keys...full steam ahead!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment