Wednesday, August 26, 2009

RETRIBUTION

You know what the wonderful thing about writing is? You get to call the shots. You get to set the scene and you get to say what will happen. It's true that sometimes your characters will surprise you and suddenly they are taking you on a journey in a totally different direction from where you thought you were headed, but when the story is your "own", then you are in complete control of the outcome.

Yesterday I finished the short story I plan to submit to the Greensboro Review for their writing contest. (yes, dear followers, I DID actually write 8-3 yesterday) The story I am submitting is semi-autobiographical. It's earned the "semi" title because I rewrote the ending. The events that occured are true up to a point. Then I suddenly realized I could have retribution. I could have payback for all the misery I suffered as a child and as we all know "paybacks are hell", so I killed her off. My antagonist, my so-called guardian, the woman who raised me from the young age of two with a cruelty no child should have to endure...I killed her off!! Ding-dong the witch is dead and it felt sooooo good!

Even if you aren't a writer, you can benefit from this exercise. Write a letter to your enemy, tell them exactly how you feel, how you want them to suffer, how you want them to be punished for the pain they've inflicted on you. Then read it out loud! It is totally cathartic! It helps to cleanse the soul and can bring you peace. It doesn't wash away the acts of degradation, but it does give you a feeling of power. And, in writing down your frustrations. if you should happen to find an imaginative way of "getting rid" of that evil person...well that's even better. The best part is...you can't even be arrested!! Paybacks are not only hell, sometimes they are sweet vengeance!"

No comments:

Post a Comment