Thursday, August 27, 2009

PONDER-MENTS

I've coined a new word..."ponder-ments"...it's kind of like condiments, but instead of ketchup, mustard or mayo, it's the little additions you need to make to your writings when you complete them. Read what you've written, then "ponder" on it for a bit and then add that little extra flavoring to send it over the top.

My hubby read my short story last night. Very funny cause he's definitely not a reader. Strange that someone so passionate about the written word would be married to a guy who truly hates reading, but what can I say..."I love him". Anyway, he agreed to read through the story, after kind of groaning at how many pages there were (I'd probably send him into cardiac arrest if I asked him to read my entire novel) and headed out to the back porch to fulfil his promise. The amazing thing is...he really gave me some very good suggestions as to what I needed to do in order to make the story even better. He said he liked it, said he could picture everything happening in his head as he was reading (which is a good thing), then he recommended I make a couple of additions. At first, I just mentally sighed and thought..."oh yeah, the guy who doesn't read is telling me how to write". But I asked for his opinion and I owed it to him to consider what he suggested.

Okay, I hate it...but I have to admit he was right! I am going back to my story today and I'm adding a few chocolate sprinkles and maybe a dollop of whipped cream...then WAHLAH...my contest entry shall be a thing of beauty and even if I don't win...at least I'll know that I submitted a luscious manuscript along with all the right "ponder-ments".

No comments:

Post a Comment