Sunday, May 2, 2010

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

We have an elephant living in our downstairs bathroom. I never actually see him, but I do hear him...every time we flush the toilet. I forget that he's there till I flush. A few seconds later I can hear his mournful moan fill the house.

We could get rid of the elephant. But it might mean replacing the inner workings of the toilet and I don't believe the elephant annoys my husband nearly as much as it does me. Maybe it's because I am home more and I get to hear it trumpeting five or six times a day. Maybe it's because I'm a woman and shit like this really bothers us.

I haven't asked him to kill the elephant. His brother silenced it for a brief while when he was visiting a couple of months ago. I guess I should have paid attention to what he did. Something about a hose and moving it and blah, blah, blah. I still say "toilet" issues should not be my project.

It's gonna be embarrassing when we have company over and they ask, "what the hell is that noise?". I intend to answer, "oh that's just our elephant in the bathroom, but the great white hunter in our family won't kill it." Husbands sometimes need motivation.

1 comment:

  1. This is written so well. I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete