Thursday, May 27, 2010

BAD DOG!

How long after your dog rains down destruction can you chastise him? Our somewhat crazy ass dog Zeus destroyed the carpeting in front of my daughter’s bedroom door. And when I say “destroyed”, I mean ripped it to shreds. He tore it into pieces, including the matting and I’m sure he would have torn up the sub-flooring too if his nails had been strong enough. (Note to self: cut dog’s toe nails to the quick before leaving on vacation)

While we were away my daughter was babysitting both dogs. Hers is the prissy little Chihuahua who hates my husband and ours is a lab/chow mix who’s afraid of his own shadow. The dogs aren’t used to being left alone for long periods of time anymore since I was laid off a year ago and stay home most of the time now. My daughter however works 8-5. She put her dog, Dolce, inside her crate (where she stays when we’re not home) and closed her bedroom door. She left our bedroom door open so Zeus could go lay either on his bed or ours.

Obviously, he didn’t want to lie down. Being separated from Dolce for nine hours must have been too much for him, so in order to get to her he figured he’d just dig his way under the door and into her room. Have to give him credit for effort. There’s no more carpet blocking the door. A few more hours and he probably would have eaten the door itself. Luckily my daughter came home before he could begin his teeth action.

We now have options. Get the carpet patched...we know a guy who does this. Cut away the torn up part...and cover it with a throw rug. Replace it with a wood threshold...four feet wide. I think we’re going to opt for the wood. He WILL be alone in the house again and Lord knows I don’t want to feel like killing him, should he annihilate repaired carpeting. Using throw rugs seems so “grandma-ish” (I remember round area rugs in front of doors in old people’s homes). He may scratch the hell out of the wood, but Pergo is pretty sturdy and he hates the wood floors downstairs, so hopefully he’ll be so terrorized by the slippery surface he’ll leave the area alone.

Well a person can dream can’t they?

No comments:

Post a Comment