Tuesday, February 9, 2010

MOVING BACK HOME...

My 22 year old daughter has moved back into our household. She moved out 3 years ago and rented an apartment with her boyfriend. They broke up four weeks ago. One way for me to keep my sanity after going from a quiet empty nest to a drama filled household, is to blog about it.

It wasn't a total surprise when she showed up on our doorstep, tears running down her face, proclaiming that the man she'd been "in love" with for the last three years was a jerk. We'd heard this same statement a lot over the last six months or so. On each occasion, the tears seemed to flow a little harder and the recovery time from her heartbreak seemed to take longer.

I told her she would always have a place to come to. If she'd been married...I would not have made this offer. But...because I truly believed that the guy she lived with was in fact "a loser" who would never really amount to much more than what he already was...I was happy to let my daughter know that she had a sanctuary, should she ever need one. When I made that offer I didn't realize just how much our household would be turned upside down when she decided to hold me to my word.

After arriving on our doorstep, dressed in her pajamas, robe and slippers, with her hair in total disarray, eyes red and swollen, she collapsed on our sofa in a puddle of sobs and body quakes, I'm sure hit at least 6.5 on the Richter scale. My Mommy heart strings went "Twang" and I wrapped her in my arms rocking her back and forth like I would when she was just a tiny child and hurt herself at play. I told her, "You know you have a place to come to. You don't have to put up with this. You are always welcome here." She nodded her head as she buried it deeper into my chest, the sobs and shaking beginning to subside.

"I think I need to move back here, Mom," she said. And so it began..........

No comments:

Post a Comment