Saturday, July 18, 2009

WEEKEND WRITING WARRIOR

The Weekend Novelist, by Robert Ray, is a great book for anyone who doesn't have the time to write during the week, but is disciplined enough to write on the weekends.

I can't write on the weekends...even if there's a blizzard outside or it's pouring down rain with thunder and lightning I will want to curl up in a corner of the sofa, in my soft, cuddly robe and warm, fuzzy slippers and read...someone else's novel. Any other weather conditions and I just want to get outside and have some fun! Not that my writing isn't fun, at times, but it's an isolated, lonely endeavor for the most part and I am a very social person. To be a weekend "writing warrior" I would have to get up on Saturday morning and instead of spending time with the newspaper and a giant cup of coffee, feet elevated, sitting on my lovely screened-in back porch, listening to the birds chirping, the sound of lawn mowers running, children laughing at play and my next door neighbors loading up equipment for their son's ballgame...I would have to sit in my home office with the door closed, trying to block out the noises of life in my cul-de-sac and pound away at my computer keyboard.

I can't give up my weekends! I will simply have to develop a habit of writing five days a week and spend my Saturdays and Sundays enjoying the energy of the 8-5 group that swirls around me as they enjoy their down time.

I am making a vow to myself...and my fellow readers (I know you're out there)...Monday morning 8a.m. I will open the box holding my manuscript, turn to page one and begin reading it...page by page...all over again, make my FINAL changes.

Until then, I want everyone to enjoy their weekend hours and if anyone would like my copy of "The Weekend Novelist"...just let me know............

No comments:

Post a Comment