Friday, July 17, 2009

THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW...

A friend of mine, upon reading my blog yesterday, gave me some very sound advice. Write every day, the same time ever day. Hmmmm, interesting concept that I have also seen suggested in many of the "how to get that dang novel completed" books sitting on my shelves collecting dust.


Knowing and doing are two very different things. I found it much easier to write when I had my 8-5 job than I do now. There are currently too many distraction in my life. I start out the day with great intentions. I pick up my manuscript-in-a-box and my laptop on my way out to our back porch balancing my bowl of cereal. I place it on the table. I watch it while I slowly consume my toasted oats and fruit. Don't want it suddenly taking off so I lose a chance to actually open that box and go over what I've written for the fourth time. Upon finishing my cereal I must take my bowl inside. While there I figure I should empty the dishwasher, put away the clean dishes and reload with my dirty bowl, rather than just letting it sit in the sink. The counters could use a good scrub down and when's the last time I really cleaned the stove and microwave? Putting away the milk container I see several moldy science experiments I should toss in the trash and then decide a good disinfecting of the whole refrigerator is in order. Don't want those mold spores spreading to other food items. (do they do that?) If my kitchen is going to look truly spotless, then I should probably vacuum and mop the floor too. Wait...what's this receipt doing on the counter? It belongs in the files upstairs. I could make the bed while I'm up there...put away clothes...maybe start a load of laundry....


Well you can see where this is headed. Two hours later I am finally back out on the porch with my second cup of coffee (the first having been consumed while picking up a little). I'm surprised to see that my novel is still sitting exactly where I put it when I set it on the table.


I start my computer. Look at the clock. Oh wow, it's almost lunch time I should start the water boiling for the pasta that I plan to make into a salad. The phone rings. It's a friend I haven't heard from in at least a week. I should take time for this call...after all I've already missed my "time to write" for today. There's always tomorrow............

No comments:

Post a Comment