Saturday, July 25, 2009

BEATING MYSELF UP

I didn't write yesterday. I did my blog, answered a couple of emails, left a couple of comments on Facebook and Twitter...but I didn't spend any time with Star or Ford and I didn't spend anytime with Frank, Robert or any of the girls. I feel like I let good friends down.

I admit that I had a busy day yesterday. Up early, a three hour meeting I had to attend, lunch to eat, a couple of errands to run, a nap to take (yeah all that wore me out...wimp) and by then my hubby was home and I wanted to spend a nice evening with him, so I blew off my fantasy buddies and just thought about me.

As you know from my past blog (Weekend Writing 7/18) I don't write on weekends. I had big plans since being bitten with the creativity bug again, to only be inspired Monday through Friday. So what do I do now that I have missed a day? I used to get this same feeling when I would skip a day at work (not that I did this often) and I wasn't really sick. I had this kind of lost, lazy, floating in the ozone sensation till I was back at my desk the next day. I'm a creature of habit. Not OCDish..but I like to feel organized and grounded and a routine helps me to achieve peace in my life.

If you are a writer...you should set up a routine for yourself. Whether it's for an hour each morning before going to work, an hour or two each evening right after work, or an hour or more before going to bed each night...you should write. I need to learn to set "time boundaries". My writing is my job and I should treat it as such. If people want to spend time with me...it will have to be after or before my "writing time" not during.

My mind feels sluggish today even trying to push through my blogging. One day without mental calisthenics and I'm drudging through brain mire. I WILL get back in touch with my fantasy friends this morning, because I've come to the conclusion...that I need them as much as they need me. To hell with Saturday...give me my manuscript!

1 comment:

  1. Don't beat yourself up like that. You can't be "on" every day. Write it as it comes. And I hope u get some sleep. Take the ambien when you first lie down so you can sleep thru the nite!

    ReplyDelete