Thursday, September 2, 2010

COFFEE TIME PEOPLE WATCHING

There’s something very calming about going to a coffee house in the morning. I love the smell of the place as I walk in the door. I’m excited about my coffee choices and all the delightful ways in which I can enrich my coffee to fit my taste. It makes me feel a part of the human race to be standing there in line, waiting for my turn to present my order and start my day.

I visited Panera Bread a couple of mornings this week. Some of you may not think of Panera as a “coffeehouse”, but because I like a sweet pastry, of some sort, to go with my morning joe…I prefer their selection, to the rather limited selection at some of the more popular coffee places.

It was very interesting watching the “people of Panera” as they settled down for their morning treats. Some traveled in packs and you could tell by their attire they’d be headed to their jobs soon. A couple of caffeine infused business meetings, were taking place and a few solo corporate types floated in and out.

What I enjoyed most were the people who came to either work, read or merely wanted to get away from home, some with children in tow. The self-employed, unemployed, students or writers, tend to order coffee only and sit with their laptops open, staring at their screens, typing or scanning various websites. These are usually the 2-3 cups per stay people.

A few moms stopped in, deposited their children at tables with gooey breakfast sweets to keep them occupied, while the mothers sighed with relief as they took their first sip of “get me through the day stimulation.”

Men and women who came, as I did, merely to get out of the house for a bit and mingle with other morning people, brought either books, magazines or newspapers to read. I enjoyed watching the routines of some of these folks. Get coffee, get bagel, sit at table, spread cream cheese on bagel, adjust placement of food and drink articles on table, open reading material, take one look around dining area and finally begin perusing brain material.

Ahhhh, sweet nectar of a caffeine-aholic...I love spending time with my people. See you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment